Saturday, July 18, 2015

The bigger picture

I'm pushing myself so hard out here in Colorado. It's amazing to see myself do things I never thought I'd be able to do. I'm exhausted, though. With every little feat, I'm perspiring and light headed. But I've got my eye on the prize.

I suffer from MS Fatigue, and that's why I'm exhausted. "Web MD" does a decent job in describing MS Fatigue, something that so many of the MS patients I know suffer from, including our roommate Des, another MS Patient.

"Multiple Sclerosis and Fatigue

Medically speaking, fatigue is not the same thing as tiredness. Tiredness happens to everyone -- it is an expected feeling after certain activities or at the end of the day. Usually you know why you are tired and a good night's sleep solves the problem.

Fatigue is a daily lack of energy; unusual or excessive whole-body tiredness not relieved bysleep. It can be acute (lasting a month or less) or chronic (lasting from one to six months or longer). Fatigue can prevent a person from functioning normally and affects a person's quality of life.

According to the National Multiple SclerosisSociety, 80% of people with MS have fatigue. MS-related fatigue tends to get worse as the day goes on, is often aggravated by heat and humidity, and comes on more easily and suddenly than normal fatigue."

7:33 am and I'm waiting on Rafael so I can start my day. Honestly all I want to do is lay down, but if I did it would mean admitted defeat, and I can't lose. Putting up this Aviary means that when something crosses out path, we are up for the challenge. It symbolizes getting better and stronger. I need this just as much as the birds do.

Being a part of a cause bigger than yourself inspires you to do more. It's imperative that my team helps me win, because I'm going to help them win. These birds deserve a better life and our teacher deserves happiness (she does so much to help others).

As I rise, my hope is that my day goes well and that I'm able to do my part without obstacles getting in my way. After this task is complete I hope to complete the new MS program I'm working on. This Colorado air will do MS patients good. I see the bigger picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment