Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Eat Me

17 days and no meds. Im stoked! And now i'm going for more! New diet!!!!

In August i'm going to go to mostly raw fruits and vegetables. Last time I did that, I had cravings for junk food really bad when I stopped. I think training my body on not eating wrecklessly can improve my health, too. More raw, less mess. No gluton. No saturated fats. No dairy. No salt. No transfat. No sugar. These are definite no-no's when it comes to eating healthy with Multiple Sclerosis.

I know im "sick" but not too sick to try something new. I know as a woman with MS I am at higher risk of heart attack, stroke, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation (or flutter) than those without MS. I've had heart fluttering for some years now but never knew it was MS Related. Also saturated fats come primarily from animal-based food, which I never knew. Fatty red meat is now off the menu. I pray for good. No more foods with palm and coconut oils, either. Saturated fats are known to raise your LDL, or bad, cholesterol. High cholesterol can lead to heart disease.

I'm adding Avacado to my #1 food to keep. On The Rise Magazine's Xtra Angel just did a piece about it explains all of its nutritional benefits here http://ontherisemagazine.com/why-you-should-add-an-avocado-to-your-diet/ .

I've been getting away from dairy. Some specific proteins in cow’s milk could be detrimental to people with MS. There are better ways to get nutrients.
Too much sugar leads to excessive weight gain. Excess weight also increases fatigue, which common among people with MS.

Off the list are  commercially baked cookies, crackers, pies, and any other packaged products whose ingredients list includes trans fats. Keywords to look for on nutrition labels are partially hydrogenated oils or shortening. We know that trans fats increase inflammation inside blood vessels and thus could lead to cardiovascular problems.

The more salt in MS patients have in their diet, the more likely they are to relapse and have a greater risk of developing new lesions.  Excess salt can increase your blood pressure, another path to heart disease.

White rice, white bread, and white pasta are in the off list, too. These processed carbohydrates, which elevate blood sugar, also appear to hurt the heart, especially in women.  “When you’re trying to deal with MS, you don’t want to have to deal with other diseases like heart disease and diabetes as well,” Jamieson-Petonic says."

Gluten intolerance in MS patients are prevalent. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Only the 1 to 2 percent of the population that has celiac disease, an intolerance to gluten, must go gluten-free. Many people without actual celiac disease, however, find they feel better overall when they eliminate gluten from their diet, so I'm removing it from mine.

Sacrifice is key, and I'm willing to stop the madness if it gives me more life. Day 17...goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment