Saturday, May 28, 2016

Distress Under Fire

I get overwhelmed very easily.   Once I'm in a frantic state of thinking, it's best for me just to walk away from whatever situation if it all I can when I feel like I can't get out of the situation. I understand that I just drift off into my mind into my mood space, into solitude I can prevent the worst from happening.  


This is typical, but I hate that it affects me so much. I’m trying to spread awareness, but when it happens to me it’s really hard for those around me to relate to the information provided:

Recognition and testing

Early recognition, assessment and treatment are important because cognitive changes — along with fatigue — can significantly affect a person’s quality of life and are the primary cause of early departure from the workforce. The first signs of cognitive dysfunction may be subtle — noticed first by the person with MS or by a family member or colleague.
  • Difficulty finding the right words
  • Trouble remembering what to do on the job or during daily routines at home
  • Difficulty making decisions or showing poor judgment
  • Difficulty keeping up with tasks or conversations
Talk to your physician if you are concerned about cognitive dysfunction. A specially trained health professional (neuropsychologist, speech/ language pathologist or occupational therapist) will administer a battery of tests and careful evaluation in order to determine the cause(s) of changes (since cognitive function can also be affected by aging or medications, as well as depression, anxiety, stress and fatigue). (info from http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Symptoms-Diagnosis/MS-Symptoms/Cognitive-Changes
)




On this 9th day of my #45DayRawFoodDietChallenge, part of the difficulty for me has been remembering how to get the meals together. It’s easy, right?  No cooking involved?  WRONG.  IT’S VERY DIFFICULT AND CONFUSING FOR ANYONE, but for a MS patient it feels like the worst thing in the world. This “fog” makes me just not be able to do things, like even providing meals. I can just stick something in my mouth but for other people to depend on me, this is really difficult.  I can’t decide on things which means planning which means I can’t do it.  I can do it, but it’s taking me forever in between just having to zone out.  I want to succeed in this challenge and in life, it’s just that having people to depend on me is hard.  I’m not always reliable and that hurts.  It hurts to not possibly complete a task due to the stress of having to interact with others in order to do something. What have I signed up for?

"Not as sharp as you used to be? You’re not alone. An estimated 60% of people with MS experience some sort of cognitive dysfunction in their lifetime. It might become harder to remember things, to concentrate or to plan and organize. And just like physical symptoms in MS, no two people experience these cognitive dysfunctions the same way" http://www.nationalmssociety.org/NationalMSSociety/media/MSNationalFiles/Documents/Momentum_Memory-Loss.pdf


Well, see the issue is not being alone isn't helping my situation. How can I live in this world as an active member of society and in my family not being able to remember things, concentrate or plan and organize? OH, THE DISABILITY INCOME. Ha! That's a joke in itself. I don't want to hear "You're not trying hard enough" or "Oh, it's always something". If I had no legs and couldn't cross the street would it be "Oh, it's always something" or "You're not trying hard enough"? NO! It's because i have an invisible disability and because people can't see it, they assume I shouldn't be frustrated about it or not be frustrated at them for not acknowledging that's what's going on and to cut me slack and not make me feel like crap for not being able to do stuff out of whatever reason my mind won't focus on it. Day 10 should have come with all the answers, that's for sure, and it would have made my life so much easier.
Signed,
I'm hungry, tired, and scared but keeping on this challenge if I can.
*********************************************************


*********************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment