Sunday, June 28, 2015

Change is inevitable

Change is inevitable. I've been doing my Write 4 MS Awareness and spreading the word about multiple sclerosis but let's face it; not many of the people I've been coming into contact with know about this horrid disease. It makes me really thankful to those who have taken the time out to learn more about what I and the other 2.3 million people worldwide go through. More than 2.3 million people are affected by MS worldwide. Because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not require U.S. physicians to report new cases, and because symptoms can be completely invisible, the prevalence of MS in the U.S. can only be estimated. I have MS, my friend Nicki J has MS, and this one guy at a wedding I attended last year has MS. Oh, and I have an older cousin with MS. And my husband's new Facebook friend has been newly diagnosed with MS. It's not as uncommon as it seems, but because its an "invisible" disease, its not as well known as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.

 "There are now FDA-approved medications that have been shown to "modify" the course of MS by reducing the number of relapses and delaying progression of disability to some degree. In addition, many therapeutic and technological advances are helping people manage symptoms. Advances in treating and understanding MS are made every year, and progress in research to find a cure is very encouraging" is what the national ms society says, but from what I've experienced, its all just about doping us up with medications that cause worst long term effects than the disease itself. From fitigue, to chronic pain, to insomnia and paralysis and tremors and muscle spasms,etc. Enough is enough. Change is inevitable and I'm looking for it with a magnifying glass and microscope. Please look with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment